Saturday, April 2, 2011

Product Placement


I am not ashamed to admit that I watch a ridiculous amount of television. I am faithful to many series and from being such a frequent viewer, I have discovered that many shows use product placement. I may not be obvious to everyone, but I am quick to notice it now. Sometimes it's a subtle zoom in of an appliance (Top Chef) so that the audience can see the GE logo. Other times it's an awkward comment about how great Subway is (Chuck). I've started to make it a game and seeing how many I can notice in one episode.
The most commonly placed product that I've noticed is Apple products. Most shows I watch include Apple computers or an obvious iPhone lookalike.
In my opinion this is a hit or miss method. I think the costumer has to already have some knowledge about the product to work. Just seeing a brand new logo or something may not encourage them to do anything. It works if the costumer already knows about the product or has gotten it in the past they are then reminded of it. I'm not a professional but I think this method is sometimes effective and sometimes not. Either way I'm still going to continue watching for them lurking in the background.

No comments:

Post a Comment