Saturday, April 2, 2011

Celebrities in Ads


Celebrities have always had a huge influence on consumers. Many people want to look like or be like their favorite celebrities and so they will buy anything they promote. In the 2000s, this is especially true. Almost every magazine ad depicts a celebrity using the product shown.
Personally, I think this method is very powerful. As a college student I am persuaded in this way, but money is still a huge factor. So, even though Natalie Portman (my favorite actress) is the new face of Christan Dior, there is still no way I'm buying it.
Another very popular way to use celebrities is with weight loss programs. Every other commercial is a celebrity who has lost over 25 pounds. I find these ads very annoying. Weight loss works differently for everyone and a celebrity is not going to convince me to start with any of these money wasting programs.
Overall I think celebrities have a big say in what people buy, but other factors are often stronger than the image.

No comments:

Post a Comment